Graphic designer, media artist, civic hacker. Saving good causes from bad design. Frequently distracted by public typography. Lover of all things ampersand (&).
I’m a senior designer at CommunicateHealth, a health communication and education firm specializing in improving health literacy through user-centered design, research, and content development.
At Hampshire College, I designed an interdisciplinary concentration in typography, urban planning, community-based art, and education.
This website reflects mostly personal work and side projects, for some of my current professional work check out CommunicateHealth’s portfolio.
Things I love to talk about: typography, civic hacking, open government, games for change, feminism, accessibility, data visualization, storytelling, methods for connecting strangers in public space, circus arts
Things I love to look at: ampersands, maps, mountains, slab serifs, faded letters on buildings, old boy/girl scout handbooks
- TEDx Shelburne Falls 2013: Hack Your City
- Hack for Western Mass 2013: Hackathon Bootcamp and Intro to Design Thinking
- Healthcare Experience Design Conference 2013: Reader-Centered Design for Health Communication (View a video of this presentation)
- Usability Professionals Association – Boston Conference 2012: Reader-Centered Design for Online Health Communication
- Reproductive Rights Conference (CLPP) 2012: Graphic Design 101 for Activists
- Reproductive Rights Conference (CLPP) 2011: Arts and Activism Panel Member
- Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) Conference 2009: Graphic Design 101 for Activists
- Other conferences attended: Code for America Summit, AdaCamp, Typecon (four times!), TYPO SF
- Fun-a-day Group Show, Northampton, MA, 2012
- Featured Artist, Wall Talk Art Gallery, Northampton, MA, 2010-2011
- Co-opoly at the BMW Guggenheim LAB, New York City, 2011
- Ampersand: a Typography Scavenger Hunt, Hampshire College, 2010
- Design, Art, and Technology Show, Hampshire College, 2010
- HERETICS documentary world premiere, MoMA, New York City, 2009